Dr. Linster is a Diplomate with the American Chiropractic Board of Sports Physicians and a ImPACT Computerized Concussion Assessment Provider
Athletes understand the numerous demands of participating in a sport. Putting your body through these activities, such as running, jumping or tackling, can result in painful tears, sprains and strains. Seeing a chiropractor can help athletes heal faster after suffering a sports injury and can help prevent them in the future.
Dr. Linster has extensive experience in treating athletes on both the amateur and professional level. In addition to being a Diplomate with the American Chiropractic Board of Sports Physicians, Dr. Linster has additional professional accreditations which include:
- International Federation of Sports Chiropractic (FICS)
- American Chiropractic Board of Sports Physicians through which she is qualified and has served as a US Olympic Medical Services Volunteer at Lake Placid.Dr.
- Robin has served as Co-Medical Director for the Eastern Collegiate Tae Kwon Do Championships held at Princeton University as well as Medical Services Team for the National Collegiate Tae Kwon Do Championships, and semi-pro & police inter-department football teams.
Sports Injuries can limit performance and cause pain
Some of the main reasons athletes suffer sports injuries include forceful impacts, repetitive motions, over-training and failure to warm up properly. This can happen in countless ways, depending on what activity you are doing or what sport you are playing. It is important to take precautionary measures, but sometimes injuries can happen to the most physically active and experienced people. Often these conditions are a result of injuries suffered years or even decades ago that did not heal properly.
Children and teens tend to ignore what seem to be small injuries when they are active. But if an injury is left untreated, this can lead to chronic pain in other areas, that may not even be directly related to the focal point of the injury, such the knees, hips, back and neck. Many sports injuries are insufficiently treated and not given enough time to rest and heal, increasing the odds that they will cause chronic pain later in life. This can lead to pain, frustration and a decrease in athletic ability.
Sports or training injuries can cause the following symptoms:
- Burning, dull pain
- Muscle Pains
- Muscle Spasms
Sports injuries can cause further injuries if left untreated
Although many people think that chiropractic is solely limited to the spine, we treat and help prevent injuries of the neck, back, shoulders, knees and ankles. When the spine is perfectly aligned, tension in the body is alleviated This can decrease inflammation and allow the nervous system to function optimally.
When the spine is aligned, vital nutrients and water can travel throughout the body easily. Good alignment can also bolster the immune system, which is ideal for anyone with a busy and active lifestyle. This allows the body to function better and become less susceptible to injury.
Our doctors can help athletes by relieving their pain and helping them heal faster after an injury. Many athletes try to mask pain with medication, but this can lead to further risk and damage to the body. At Active Balance Spine and Sports Care, we will perform a full evaluation. Our medical professionals will devise a customized treatment plan to get you feeling your best and back to doing what you love.
Cold laser therapy for sports injuries
The application of cold laser therapy reduces short-term inflammation. Additionally, laser therapy significantly lowers the risk of arthritis frequently resulting from sports injuries. Laser therapy is used by professional sports teams and athletes to treat inflammation, provide deep-tissue therapy, and accelerate pain relief to help athletes minimize downtime. For the past decade, deep tissue laser therapy has revolutionized treatment in the professional sports world including the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL and USA Cycling. Additionally, Ironman triathlon competitors, competitive runners, college athletes, former Olympic athletes, and elite cross-fitters have all relied on cold laser therapy.
Learn more about Cold Laser Therapy
Kinesio Taping is a procedure that utilizes a special tape that helps to support chiropractic adjustments while still allowing for free range of motion within the muscles. The tape is very thin and the wave like glue pattern allows the skin to be lifted from the affected area.
There are a number of benefits to Kinesio taping that far outweigh traditional taping methods of the past. These include:
- Muscle Support: Kinesio tape supports the muscle’s ability to contract. This can relieve any pain or fatigue felt in the muscle and prevents cramping.
- Joint Corrections: Using the tape properly will increase the range of motion in your joints and loosen your muscles.
- Self Healing: There is no medicine or drugs in Kinesio tape. It instead works by allowing your body to heal itself.
- Allowing flow of body fluids: Kinesio tape promotes and improves blood and lymphatic circulation. This will reduce inflammation in your body’s tissue.
Active Release Therapy®
Active Release Technique® (ART) is an effective manual therapy of soft tissue repair activation by treating abnormal tissues with precisely directed tension while the practice member performs specified movements. Your treatment is unique to the patterns of dysfunction and pain you present with. Increasing numbers of chiropractors, physicians, osteopaths, physical and occupational therapists are using ART® . Professional, amateur athletic programs and many world-class athletes recognize these techniques as a successful way of treating and managing soft tissue injuries.
Benefits of Active Release Techniques® Treatment
ART® can often help with a variety of soft tissue conditions such as:
- tennis and golfers elbow
- back and shoulder pain
- plantar fasciitis
- achilles tendonitis
- shin splints
It is also effective for joint conditions. Tissue restrictions within a muscle or joint can alter the movement of the joint. This faulty movement can lead to limited range of motion, increased risk of injury and accelerated degeneration.
When nerve entrapment is caused by muscle or tendinous tightening or adhesion, ART can be effective in the relief of pain and lessening the tension of the surrounding tissue on the nerve. Cases like carpal tunnel syndrome, sciatica, cubital fossa entrapment in the elbow and headaches have been helped.
How many times have you found that ‘It only hurts when I do this…’? We’ve encountered that statement thousands of times and… you’re right! The logical health care practitioner may tell you ‘then don’t do that’. The wise practitioner however, will more likely say, ‘Let me evaluate and treat you while you are doing that!’ By evaluating and treating you in a position of provocation (pain, limited range of motion, or restriction of tissues and joints) I’m more easily and quickly able to return you to your life. https://sports-seminars.com/what-is-faktr/
A technique created by the founder of Graston- Utilizing an instrument that creates vibration when rubbed over skin, SASTM works to continue to expedite soft tissue healing. https://www.sastm.com/
There are three types of taping used in the office and on the field.
- Traditional strapping taping patterns. We often associate this type of taping with boxers, football players and rugby athletes. This is the typical white or beige tape used to restrict ankle or wrist motions. It is used in other areas of the body as well and a technique called SPRT utilizes ‘pull tabs’ to help relieve pain in certain motions.
- Functional taping. This is usually a system of creating a support system like your biceps and triceps out of stretch tape like elastikon ® to let the anchor points of those muscle relax. An achilles support for example can help an injured calf muscle contract. This is different from kinesio taping techniques which we will address next.
- Kinesiology Taping. Whatever the brand, Rock Tape, Kinesiotape, Performtex, et al, the concept is a thin, elastic tape that can mimic some of the properties of skin. By varying the stretch and patterns of tape placement it can aid in re-education of the neuromuscular system, reduce pain, reduce inflammation and assist lymphatic flow. Kinesio taping can be applied to injuries including:
- Any sprain/strain in the body
- Postural Disorders
- Rotator Cuff/Shoulder Injuries
- Tennis/Golfer’s Elbow
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITB Syndrome)
- Knee Tracking or Tendon Disorders
- Ankles Sprains
- Reduction of Traumatic or Post-Surgical Swelling or Bruising
THERAPEUTIC EXERCISE & STRETCH
Affectionately called The Playroom, Active Balance Spine and Sports Care utilizes combinations of stretching facilitated muscles and activating inhibited muscles to give you better results from your efforts. Programs are designed with ease of duplication at home once you understand physical cues needed to change how you move. In the words of Gray Cook, “First Move Well. Then Move Often.” Too often people are injured because of improper form. It stops right here, right now!
Best sports chiropractor York County, Maine
To start your journey to optimal health and wellness, give us a call today at (207) 502-7577 to book your appointment.